View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #17
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Dreams can become things of the present

I was watching Bill Moyers and he had a Woman on who helped end a 14 yr war in Liberia. She was a Mother of 5. Sincere and passionate. She said she was tired of being afraid. Of waking to find whole families slaughters. Afraid to walk in the streets, because of all the rapes. Afraid for her Children.

She was tired of having no food for Herself or her Children. Her life was truly hell, and one day she decided not to be a victim anymore. She got angry. And though she was just a market Woman, shy and not capable of being a leader (or so she thought), she began to speak at her local church. She was unmarried and shunned by her society and thought she had no credibility, but she was tired of living in hell.

She began to invite others from other churches to join the Women of her church. She began to speak to all the Mothers in wartorn Liberia, who were also tired of war and fear, murder and rape and hunger.

An American Woman was in Liberia and began filming this Woman's journey, which has been now shown around the world, in all countries where there is a similar way of living midst horrors for over a decade. Other Women in other countries are beginning to see that they can make a difference. That non-violent resistance can be empowering.

Men who were waging these wars began to see themselves in a new light. They saw these Women as their Mothers and there actions touched them profoundly. I was riveted for an hour.

This market Woman, as she called herself (in her countries garb of headdress and robe) was asked by Bill what motivated her to carry her message on to others outside of her own country. She said, Because I feel their pain. I've been down this road and I am here to walk with them in their quest for survival. I want to help them unleash themselves.

Though peace did come to Liberia, and a Woman was elected President of that country, all stemming from one Woman's quest for peace, she feels there is more to be done. That the reason she was put on this earth is to help bring peace and awaken Women, and all People, to contribute to ending wars.

In my small way, I felt her words as my own. As a bc survivor, I feel my work is not done. Still, with each test, after all these years, I worry and pray for continued good results. I take no day for granted. Not one of my blessings for granted. Not one test of the many for granted. It remains a daily struggle, which I try to do with as much grace and love as possible.

I post on this site because I feel your pain, as that Liberian Woman said. I've been down this road. And I am here to walk with you in your quest for survival. I want to help. To tell you

-- DREAMS CAN BECOME THINGS OF THE PRESENT...

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...