View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #15
Grace

I was originally diagnosed with DCIS, comedo form, in New York, and the first surgeon I visited said a sentinel node biopsy was an absolute requirement with high grade DCIS. The second surgeon (the one who operated) also insisted on a SNB, whatever grade DCIS. Actually, she wanted permission to do more than just a SNB if she saw anything suspicious during surgery, and I refused. I'm wondering how a surgeon would even know that a woman had pure DCIS without the full pathology report after surgery?

Jean, my New York oncologist (NYU), in contrast to your New York doctor, insisted on both chemotherapy, taxol with carboplatin, and afterwards herceptin for a full year of treatment as soon as he knew I was HER2+ (4.7). He had to do quite a bit of tap dancing to convince me to do chemo, as I am Stage 1a (5mm), and I'm still not convinced he was right. You seem to have found yourself an unusually conservative oncologist if I judge by my treatment and that of other women here at NYU with similar pathologies.

If you would like his name, send me a private message, and I'll be glad to share it with you. The facility is also very nice and very well run. My doctor is a lovely person as well, kind and caring, and actually shaves his head from time to time when he has a new patient just starting chemotherapy to show solidarity. And it's not as though he looks like Yul Brenner--he actually looks rather awful without hair! But everyone loves him anyway.