View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #25
swimangel72

Thank you Believe for your kind thoughts and prayers - I'm praying for you and all my friends here - that God's love will shine so brightly on each of us every single day that the shadows of fear will be erased!

Michka I totally agree with your words below:
------------------------------------
By law, I can ask a copy of all the internal documents. I will do that because they are afraid to talk. I consider that everybody can make a mistake. These doctors and nurses have a tough job and we love to find them to help us. What gets me upset (and now a little mad) is the tentative to cover up. It's a dangerous attitude for the patients. The best is to put everything that went wrong on the table and correct the process or the training.
-------------------------------------
It was the SILENCES of my surgeons that forced me to take action and investigate what happened to me in the hospital - only after I received all my reports did I discover I had MRSA. Thanks to the whispers of the nurses in the hallways I became suspicious that all was not "normal" the way my surgeons kept reassuring me. I should have listened to the first nurse on the morning of my surgery - she was the ONLY one who had any common sense or understanding of the risks I would be undertaking - when she took my temperature she said, "Oh - you have a 100.6 fever - you'll probably have to go home!" The anesthesiologist listened for a minute to my lungs and declared me "good to go" - this set the downhill spiral for getting MRSA. Not one doctor ever informed me that I'd be at greater risk for infection going in with a fever.........they hide behind all the papers you have to sign. These doctors are so cavalier - business-as-usual - get their quotas in so they could proceed with the building of their new "breast center wing" onto a low-volume community hospital. I doubt I'll ever get anywhere with a lawsuit - but I hope to shake them up at least so they'll NEVER do to another breast cancer patient what they did to me........that they'll be FORCED to learn from their mistakes. It's a shame that this is the only way we can maintain control over the quality of our healthcare.

Anyway - enough of my own griping - Michka I hope you're feeling better and that you'll get the answers you seek. Thank you for posting your question regarding blood transfusions and BC recurrence rates - I NEVER even thought about that! I worried about getting Hepatitis from the blood transfusion but I've been told that the blood is so well screened today I have nothing to worry about.

It's a gorgeous blue-sky sunny day and I'm heading out to the pool - where I feel like I'm flying - weightless and free - and while I swim, I'll be praying for all of my friends here!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote