View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 05:00 AM   #15
SpitFire

Re: Are blood tests really that important in follow up care?

Thank you for all your helpful information. I now have some different strategies to work with. I don't want to say where I live because I want a safe place to talk.

I spoke with my family doctor last fall about follow up care and he just said he only needed to see me once a year. He encouraged me to search the forums. I really like him. He is very helpful and smart. I was hoping he would take over. I didn't tell him what was going on with my oncologist. I learned that lesson the hard way. I am not going to tell anyone. We don't know many people here, I was diagnosed shortly after moving here. I got my family doctor during chemo.

I thought it was wise to get my information from my doctors too, but I got bad information from my oncologist. He was very irresponsible to me. Among other things that happened during chemo.

My good doctor offered to see me twice a year instead of the oncologist, but no blood tests. He wouldn't refer me to another oncologist and was very, very upset. So I would be without an oncologist and the good doctor mad at me. My husband and I were shocked at how the doctor reacted. My husband said that I better patch things up with my oncologist so I don't lose my good doctor. So I did the next time I saw him and then saw my good doctor and he was pleased. So I patched things up, but I never got my issues resolved. I have serious concerns.

That is a big sign that I need to change doctors. I even wake up at night terrified because if I needed an oncologist, I don't really have one. This is a problem that has not been solved. I think my sub conscious is trying to solve my problem. I try to tell myself that I don't really need one. What's the point in interviewing doctors? They are still going to do what they are going to do. Lots of people are good at first impressions, you can't tell character in an interview. My oncologist has said I could ask any question. That was not what I experienced. He blew me off every chance he got.

In my area all the oncologists know each other and work together or share offices. How could I find another doctor? This doctor is highly respected. They would ask me why I wanted to leave. What do I say? They will talk to each other. I need help explaining to people. It is easier to just not go to my oncologist, but if I go see my family doctor because of a concern, he would tell me to go see my oncologist. Then what do I do?
I tried to take care of this last year, but I failed. I thought it was an easy fix. I don't feel good knowing he is my oncologist. I don't know if I could respect and trust another oncologist after this one. I know they are out there, but I haven't had any luck even getting a referral.
Stage IIb
9/2013 TCH
10/2013 TCHP
1/2014 End chemo!
2/2014 Lumpectomy Complete Response
2/2014 - 4/2014 Radiation
9/2014 Last Herceptin
SpitFire is offline   Reply With Quote