View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Why i take supplements

I should have called this thread WHY WE SHOULD ALL TAKE SUPPLEMENTS. Sorry if I'm being pushy, but I believe they helped the surgery/chemo to get me to STABLE. And THAT is what I wish for all of you, my Sisters!!!!

Ever since my first chemo I have had a chronic case of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Was totally normal for the first 50 yrs of my life. My oncologist/nutritional expert in NYC told me to take 2 WOBENZYM 1/2 hr before meals.

WOBENZYM was/is a leading immune system booster in Germany, where it was developed in the '60s. I have read about it (googling) and find it is an anti-inflammatory!!!

Many yrs ago, I noted that Dr. Christiane Northrup (Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom) was on Oprah -- when Oprah was on Oprah on NBC. Remember?? Dr. Northrup is a leading doc who specializes in women's issues. I found her extremely bright, warm and full of information.

She commented that the cause of all bodily dysfunction is -- INFLAMMATION. That is the root cause. Since hearing that a decade ago, I take notice when people describe their ailment/illness. And I recall what she said. I do believe she is right on.

Womenzym helped my irritable bowel, which apparently stems from an inflammatory situation. I definitely know it helped me feel 90% better, with way more anxious races to the toilette...

Since then -- I've read that it is an enzyme containing plant-based enzymes BROMELAIN and PAPAIN -- both -- anti-inflammatories!!

Those are enzymes which help support a healthy immune system, which I believe from all I read is firmly is essential not only to wellness but in fighting off free radicals, or cancer cells.

I am not a medical person. Not a biology whiz, but this concept makes such sense to me.

Wobenzym Information Guide

So, it's good for muscle and joint pain (which come from inflammation). Good for preventing heart attacks and strokes. Good against chronic infection. Better than taking anti-inflammatory meds. NO NASTY SIDE EFFECTS.

It is known for benefiting viral injection treatments for herpes, cancer and Hepatitis C.

Lowers inflammation involved in allergies and allieviates the symptoms for the sufferer.

I now take 1 Wobenzym before each meal. Not sure if that is b/c I have a digestive tract issue or if it is best on an empty stomach. It says on the bottle that you should take 3 twice a day.

When things were acting up for me this past Sept/Oct (I was anxious and feeling stressed -- which causes flare ups) I upped my dosage to 3 twice a day.

Well, I don't recommend that. I started to shed. Losing lots of hair all over the bathroom floor. More than my usual shedding. After several months, I went to my trusty Google and asked it -- CAUSE OF HAIR LOSS IN WOMEN. I read for a while, then came upon -- too many anti-inflammatory meds!!!

So I have cut back to 2 and then 1.

BE WELL. FEEL GOOD. Supplement away, dear girl. I think it is key. Which no doubt you've heard me say. Repeatedly. Can't try to drive that point home enough.

I get most of my supplements from Vitacost.com. They have wide choices, excellent quality and discount all supplements.

I prefer capsules and softgels and avoid tablets whenever possible But Wobenzym only comes in tablets. HOWEVER, they are small round, coated and rather easy to swallow.

Garden of Life RM 10 Mushroom Blend vegetarian capsules have Selenium in them -- which Dr. Andrew Weill says is essential for all of us -- AND I SEE IT IS NOT ONLY AN IMMUNE BOOSTER BUT A DETOXIFER, ANTI-OXIDANT AND AN ANTI-INFLAMMATORY. Expensive (but the least so among the Immune Boosters). I take 2 instead of the recommended 3 a day -- on an empty stomach. First thing in the AM, last thing at night.

Just suggestions.

Oh, and MORE EXCELLENT IMMUNE SYSTEM BOOSTER --
Co Enzyme Q10 -- 150 mg x 2 is an anti-inflammatory. As are L-Carnitine 500 x 2 and Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 x 2.

IF YOU CHECK MY SUPPLEMENTS LIST IN PREVIOUS POSTS IN THIS THREAD, PLEASE NOTE MY P.S. MENTIONING THE SUPPLEMENTS I FORGOT TO ADD TO BEGIN WITH.

Sorry about that...

Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote