Thread: Brain Mets
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Rick Miron

Brain Mets

A little over 3 weeks ago my wife (age 49) thought she was having a stroke and was rushed to the hospital only to find out she was having a seizure and had several brain mets. We have a 14 year old daughter who was also the only one with her at the time. This has been very traumatic for us. She had Her2+ breast cancer 3 years ago. She had a lumpectemy, the tumor was very small (stage 1), it had not gone to the lymph nodes. She followed up with chemo, Herceptin, and radiation. I never dreamed this would come back--but little did I know. It took me a week to get myself together and then started searching the web. Most of what I found was dismal to say the least. I am happy to have found this site as it has given me more hope. We live in Sebastapol, CA. She has just completed 15 days of WBRT. Her local oncologist has pretty much said not much else can be done. I am taking her to MD Anderson in Houston next week, and then coming back here and taking her to UCSF (not until 4-12), and then Stanford the day after that. Does anybody have an opinion on which is better? She has about 10 mets. Most small, 2 or 3 larger ones--the largest being 2.9cm. I am reading about the gamma knife. I get mixed messages. I hear that it can only be used if a few tumors exist, and then I hear that it can be used for 15 or more. Not sure what to believe. Her oncologist also told us chemo wasn't really an option but then I read that it is. Does anyone have any thoughts? I appreciate any and all feedback and I thank you in advance for it. Thsi site has given me new hope and optimism at a very difficult time. Thanks--Rick
Rick Miron is offline   Reply With Quote