View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Rich66

Re: Good source for seaweed?

Is this in line with what you have come across:

J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia. 2005 Apr;10(2):189-96.
Is iodine a gatekeeper of the integrity of the mammary gland?

Aceves C, Anguiano B, Delgado G.
Instituto de NeurobiologÃ*a, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Juriquilla. caracev@servidor.unam.mx
Abstract

This paper reviews evidence showing iodine as an antioxidant and antiproliferative agent contributing to the integrity of normal mammary gland. Seaweed is an important dietary component in Asian communities and a rich source of iodine in several chemical forms. The high consumption of this element (25 times more than in Occident) has been associated with the low incidence of benign and cancer breast disease in Japanese women. In animal and human studies, molecular iodine (I(2)) supplementation exerts a suppressive effect on the development and size of both benign and cancer neoplasias. This effect is accompanied by a significant reduction in cellular lipoperoxidation. Iodine, in addition to its incorporation into thyroid hormones, is bound into antiproliferative iodolipids in the thyroid called iodolactones, which may also play a role in the proliferative control of mammary gland. We propose that an I(2) supplement should be considered as an adjuvant in breast cancer therapy.

PMID: 16025225 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Thyroid. 2007 Sep;17(9):851-9.
Uptake and gene expression with antitumoral doses of iodine in thyroid and mammary gland: evidence that chronic administration has no harmful effects.

Anguiano B, GarcÃ*a-SolÃ*s P, Delgado G, Aceves Velasco C.
Instituto de NeurobiologÃ*a, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus UNAM-Juriquilla, Querétaro, México.
Abstract

Several studies have demonstrated that moderately high concentrations of molecular iodine (I(2)) diminish the symptoms of mammary fibrosis in women, reduce the occurrence of mammary cancer induced chemically in rats (50-70%), and have a clear antiproliferative and apoptotic effect in the human tumoral mammary cell line MCF-7. Nevertheless, the importance of these effects has been underestimated, in part because of the notion that exposure to excess iodine represents a potential risk to thyroid physiology. In the present work we demonstrate that uptake and metabolism of iodine differ in an organ-specific manner and also depend on the chemical form of the iodine ingested (potassium iodide vs. I(2)). Further, we show that a moderately high I(2) supplement (0.05%) causes some of the characteristics of the "acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect"; namely, it lowers expression of the sodium/iodide symporter, pendrin, thyroperoxidase (TPO), and deiodinase type 1 in thyroid gland without diminishing circulating levels of thyroid hormone. Finally, we confirm that I(2) metabolism is independent of TPO, and we demonstrate that, at the doses used here, which are potentially useful to treat mammary tumors, chronic I(2) supplement is not accompanied by any harmful secondary effects on the thyroid or general physiology. Thus, we suggest that I(2) could be considered for use in clinical trials of breast cancer therapies.

PMID: 17956159 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote