View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
'lizbeth

Re: Of all the treatments for cancer - this is my favorite!

My oncologist referred me to help with fatique, decrease level of fitness, etc from the cancer treatments. Here is what my doctor of physical therapy has on his website:

Why should I exercise?
Many cancer survivors feel that they are just too tired to exercise. They think that exercise offers no benefit to them, and it's not at all important.

The natural course of aging causes many of the body's physiological processes to change. Our heart function diminishes, so does our ability to breathe and process oxygen. Our muscle strength and endurance decreases as we age, and we lose our flexibility, our balance and coordination decreases, and our bodies change shape and composition. All of these things are accelerated by cancer and cancer treatment.

Reasearch continues to prove that exercise is not only beneficial for all individuals, but even more so for cancer survivors. Exercise not only addresses, but can slow and even reverse, the effects of aging and cancer treatment if performed consistently at the appropriate intensity.

How can exercise help fatigue?
Fatigue is driven by many factors; some related to cardiac function, some related to pulmonary function, and some even related to the metabolic process (how your body locates and utilizes energy). As a complex, biologic organism, the human body never improves or heals with inactivity. In fact, inactivity is the leading cause of physical dysfunction and disability. Our bodies are designed to move; to exercise.

When you exercise at the appropriate level and intensity, the biologic systems of the body actually enhance their function; they get better! With exercise, your heart functions better, pumping more blood with less of a contraction; your breathing becomes easier, and you have the ability to sustain activity for a longer duration. With increased endurance, fatigue actually lessens and function improves.

Does exercise impact Cancer?
Yes! Research studies have shown a positive link between exercise and the development of Cancer. Those who exercise consistently have been shown to not only have a lower incidence of Cancer, but exercise also reduces the risk of Cancer recurrence. Another study demonstrated that the higher the level of cardiorespiratory fitness, measured in METs or Metabolic Equivalents, can reduce breast cancer recurrence. Breast cancer survivors were shown to be able to reduce the risk of death due to breast cancer recurrence by 55% if they achieved a cardiorespiratory fitness level of 10 or greater METs.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote