Thread: Survivors
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #34
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Survivors

Swallowing all those darn pills is a laborious task. One at a time. I put them in the plastic lid of container (so they won't roll away), situate myself in front of them and the TV and try not to think about anything other than what I'm captivated with on the screen.

I find swallowing pills difficult to say the least. I BUY ONLY CAPSULES, OR SOFTGELS. NO TABLETS! Impossible for my throat. I think of peristalsis which I learned about in high school. The power of the natural wave like muscles in our throats to move food or pills to their destination. The key is to relax and not over think...

My longggg list of supplements come from my oncological integrative doc in Manhattan, who helped save my life in 1998 when I metastatisized with tumors throughout my liver. I will share the key ones for those who are interested. (I purchase through Vitacost.com, as their quality is excellent and their prices can't be beat.) Devoting the time in the AM with a meal, and again at 4 o'clock -- every single day takes tenacity to be sure. But I feel I am worth it. So are you! The investment is serious. To me, it's a matter of Life and Death.

I DRINK WATER (FOR ME -- ROOM TEMP IS BEST). I DRINK 10 8-OZ GLASSES OF WATER A DAY. BOTTLED, FILTERED WATER. EVERY SINGLE DAY. YOUR ORGANS WILL THANK YOU. SO WILL YOUR SKIN. YOU WILL STAY HYDRATED. I HAVE SEEN WHAT DEHYDRATION CAN DO TO A PERSON. IT CAN LITERALLY BE LIFE-THREATENING. IT IS YOUR JOB TO STAY HYDRATED, THROUGH NAUSEA AND FEELING LIKE YOU HAVE THE WORST FLU EVER.

I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THE MEDICAL PROFESSION. I AM A SURVIVOR. I HAVE GOOGLED EACH AND EVERY SUPPLEMENT I TAKE AND I TRY ONE FOR 3 DAYS, LISTEN TO MY BODY'S SIGNALS, AND THEN PROCEED TO THE NEXT SUPPLEMENT.

Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 AM/PM -- detoxifies liver, antioxidant, neutralizes free radicals, protects cells from damage -- AND RELIEVES MUSCLE PAIN -- IN COMBINATION WITH THE NEXT 2:
Co-Enzyme Q10 -- 150 AM/PM -- which also enhances immune system, prevents cancer cell proliferation, energizes, healthy heart, good gums -- RELIEVES MUSCLE PAIN -- IN COMBINATION WITH Alpha Lipoic Acid and L-Carnitine 500 AM/PM
L- Carnitine 500 AM/PM -- assists gastric absorption, energizes, heart healthy, immune booster -- RELIEVES MUSCLE PAIN
B-6 50 AM, heart healthy, energizes, helps repair nerve damage, good for skin
B-12 sublingual (3,000) -- energy

WHEN I HAVE MY COMPREHENSIVE BLOOD WORK DONE I ASK THAT B-12 AND D BE INCLUDED SO I CAN KEEP TABS ON BEING IN THE NORMAL RANGE. I save every report every written about me and keep them in a NO MORE CANCER file at home. I compare the new with the last, line by line.

That is how I -- yes "I" -- found my metastases. Asked for abdominal sono, which led to CT which led to biopsy. My tumor markers were still within normal range. But my liver enzymes were ever so slightly different from MY USUAL. Doc kept saying, I wouldn't worry about it. It is very very slight. Well, YOUR #s generally follow a trend. If they vary, I see red flags. Just saying...

C-1,000 w/bioflavonoids 1,000 -- enhances immune system, reduces recurrence of cancer
D-3 -- 50,000 a week. I take 10,000 over 5 days a week. For healthy bones, blocks breast cancer cell growth, meets your body's organs increasing need for D as we age. BE KIND TO YOUR ORGANS. THEY DEPEND ON YOU.
DL-Phenalalanine 500 AM empty stomach -- mood enhancer
Evening Primrose Oil 1,300 AM/PM -- relieves hot flashing, down-regulates HER2 by binding to extra cellular HER@ receptor, down regulates internal proliferation
Folic Acid 100 AM -- red cell booster, heart healthy
Gingko Biloba Extract 60 AM/PM -- mental alertness
Grapeseed Extract 150 AM -- anti-oxidant, can cross blood-brain barrier and protect brain and spinal nerves against free radical damage, enhances anti-tumor effect, protects liver, strengthen connective tissue, including heart system, supports immune system and slows aging
Resveratrol 250 AM/PM -- anti-oxidant, heart healthy, anti-cancer, HER2 blocker
NAC (N-Acetyle Cysteine) 600 AM -- supports healthy liver function, rids body of toxins
NADH -5Co Engzyme 1 (AM/PM) 1/2 hr before eating -- relieves chronic fatigue, boosts mental acuity
Omega 3 - 2,126 -- suppresses tumors, inhibits their growth, may slow or prevent recurrence of cancer, improves blood glucose, good for muscle/joint pain, anti-inflammatory, down regulates HER2 receptor
Phyto Formula -- 1 scoop w/OJ -- promotes energy BIG TIME, reduces chronic fatigue, boosts immune system and increases mental clarity + 1 banana a day!
Potassium Citrate 99 AM/PM -- bone healthy, energizes, healthy heart, prevents stroke
RM-10 Garden of Life Immune System Mushroom Blend VEGETARIAN CAPSULES -- AM/PM on empty stomach -- I take 2 instead of 3 a day because it's expensive but powerful in regulating and stimulating the immune system, anti-oxidant, detoxifier, reduces recurrence of bc
ZINC 30 anti-cancer

yes, there are studies and experts who disagree w/the findings above. i could have waited for more studies in '98, but my Inner Voice guided me to not go with mainstream conservative western medicine on this.

I began my '98 chemo regimen in September. In Oct I developed Shingles. Excruciatingly painful but the worst of it was -- no more chemo. Not till the Shingles is gone.

I "knew" I was 4th stage metastatic bc, now w/new information that I was HER2+... Highly aggressive form of cancer. Without the chemo, I feared I would die. My need was urgent, and put on hold.

So I took all my supplements, used multiple bottles of calamine lotion and pain meds and in 10 days returned to my onc. I was on the examination table. He smiled and asked how I was doing. Good I reported, smiling back. Well, let's see. I lifted my shirt. He walked around me in utter amazement. YOU'RE RIGHT. ALL THE PUSTULES HAVE DRIED UP! YOU CAN HAVE CHEMO!!
Hurray!!

I am happy with my bold decision to this day. I continue on my supplements. It is grueling. It is my job to be healthy and well. I take that responsibility very seriously. I chase away all negativity!

I go through inscanity when I am due, same as always, but I tell me -- this is yet another opportunity for me to see the fruit of all my hardwork. I try my best to hold my panic in check, along w/my husband's which is greater than mine. I get same day reports. And, I remain STABLE. No evidence of disease. 15 years from my metastasis. Almost 5 years off of Herceptin (after 10 years on). 18 years since my original 4 stage dx.

I have taken the time to share all this, because I believe in YOU. I support you with all my heart, my Sisters. With love always...
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote