View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #50
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Why i take supplements

Hi there, Ellie!

So glad to hear my words bring you a lift. We all need that!

I've had IBS since '95 w/and subsequently from chemo. In '98 Taxotere really did me in.

Since off Herceptin (5 yrs now) I have been getting better. Somewhat.

Key is my list of TRIGGER FOODS. I've kind of narrowed it down -- and don't touch anything w/fruit, nuts, corn, squash, bok choi. Eat as little sugar as possible. Did go totally off for -- 4 yrs -- but have decided to cheat a bit. Dark chocolate is actually good for you! Especially w/red wine and all those resveratols! DO YOU HAVE A LIST OF TRIGGER FOODS FOR YOU??

I can eat bananas, and do daily. And an occasional apple. ALL other fruits create havoc w/me. I read labels judiciously, scouring for a hint of corn. I've read they are processing it in a new way and many have allergic-like reactions to it. Guess I'm among those. NO popcorn, corn niblets, corn flour... THINGS I LOVE.

I was convinced cancer loved sugar, and I didn't want to feed it. So now, I just do small treats here and there.

My nut onc gave me WOBENZYM N -- 2 tablets 1/2 hr before a meal. I take twice a day. That made a huge difference! I had graduated to 1 tablet twice a day, but since the Milk of Magnesia -- to clean me out prior to abdominal surgery (just over 3 weeks ago) -- my stomach hasn't yet come back to itself.

Until recently, at the first sign of stomach gurgling (like water in a rusty pipe) or cramping -- I started taking LIQUID IMODIUM. The tablets stopped working for me. Even if I took 20 in a day! I turned myself into my doc, and he said, Ok. If you take all that, then what happens? I said, the bathroom drama stops. Ok, good. And what happens the next day? I am normal. Good. Don't worry about it...

But when we lost our much loved Brenda, I began reading her old posts. I think I was searching for a reason for her sudden decline. Well, she mentioned that when on TDM 1, she would take liquid Imodium and 1/2 cup and she'd be good to go...

I tried it. Can't understand why that works. But it's quite amazing.

When 2 -- 1/2 cups don't work -- I move to my backup plan. DIGESTIVE ADVANTAGE for IBS. If I take that soon enough, before my stomach has crossed the line (kind of like catching a migraine headache before it is too late to grab hold of it and stop it), it works! It's a probiotic.

I used to take Acidopholus. Thought it wasn't working and stopped. This drug store brand DIGESTIVE ADVANTAGE FOR IBS has -- a specially patented Ganeden BC, which is considered a healthy bacteria that works within the Intestinal Ecosystem. You can take 2 if needed. You can get this at Walmart (best price).

I also take DIGESTIVE ADVANTAGE GAS -- for relief -- daily, at night, and it is remarkable how much it helps!

If all else fails -- I take a Roxicet -- or anything with codeine in it. I remember my onc telling me (during chemo days) at the very first sign of pain -- take the Roxicet. I asked, Really??!! He said, absolutely. There is no reason for anyone to suffer! That's why we offer these drugs! And, he added, if nothing else -- it'll stop the diarrhea. Sure enough it does.

So I save that (still working off a 2005 bottle I keep laying around) -- if all else fails. I rarely need to resort to it. And, my problem begins around 2 AM for some unknown reason, so it also helps me sleep.

I've been to 5 gastro guys and was given a dozen different remedies. And nothing worked. Well, but for something like Lotromax -- and they took it off the market. People were dying. It was my guess they were miss diagnosed and created a blockage and died. The outrage was huge. People were relying on that drug in order to live a normal life! Me included.

I have heard that it is back, and that docs give it sparingly, super careful. But I haven't been as bad as I was during chemo, which kept me home for days, and in fear if I did venture out. I knew where every bathroom was, in every store, in every restaurant, so I could make a mad dash. I carried a bottle of water at all times, w/my meds to take when needed! The fear factor is huge!

One gastro guy prescribed OPIUM, I kid you not. I still have the unused bottle. I just couldn't go there...

If I am caught for many hrs on the seat, KY gel is miraculously soothing. I'm just saying...

Please tell me what YOU do. All tips are gladly received!

This was one of the main topics of discussion in the chemo rooms, as we patients sat for all those many many hours. We'd compare notes. Nurses would chime in. They've seen it all. Including those suffering from the opposite problem -- constipation. Milk of Magnesia and magnesium (starting at 400 mg, and increasing another 100 mg every half hour till successful is the scoop on that). Not my concern. I have other issues.

I keep a book or two by THE SEAT along with pen and paper, to occupy myself as it gets really boring sitting around waiting for the next... My kids can't stand when I discuss this topic. All grown up and so squeamish... )) Their children's poops are not a problem for them, as Moms, you do what you must...

Well hope this helps. I await your input. Anybody and everybody's input!

FEEL GOOD...

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote