View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 07:16 AM   #34
flynny

Hi Debbie,

I know I'm in a VERY low category. But it is true. I had my surgery done in Manchester, NH an incredible surgeon (Dr. Ned Dalton) performed it. The original path came back ER+5% and the PR was neg, HER2+++. My story is complicated a bit, so I'll try and keep it short. My mother in 2004 was dx ER/PR+, Her2+, but did everything in Manchester,NH. In April '07, she was dx with a brain tumor, had a crainiotomy, 2 tx of SRS, and then on 8/10/07, it had turned into Leptomeningeal cancer. After 14 days of WBR, she went home and then in October, it had gone to her spine. She was down between BWH/DFCI and a rehab from 10/23/07 until this past February '08. Her oncologist (who I never mentioned about my "bloody nipple discharge" that I experienced in Nov '07) couldn't believe that I had just been dx'd and my mother was ultimately dying of met breast to the brain. Anyhoo, after getting a 2nd opinion at the DFCI for my surgery, I chose to stick with Dr. Dalton (same person my mother went to) because it was the exact same opinion. Ok, so now I have my mastectomy, in recovery, get my path report, call my mom's onc (Dr. Nancy Lin) and I wasn't about to stay up here to do all my tx's, so I sent all my path slides, reports etc to her. She too was a little perplexed about my results, so she had her top 3 THREE doctors take a look at it. The results (shown below) are pretty accurate in my opinion. Especially because the ER didn't change and the PR did to +. So where the heck does that put me??? In a very low category (she said approximately 8-10% of the women are dx with this low of a ER/PR). Dr. Lin also thought maybe I wasn't HER2+ because of the ER/PR results. Life is just very bizzare and you just don't know where it will take you. I am very optimistic because of the tx I have had, however I'm just looking for some advice on the scans (I saw a previous thread talking about this same subject). We are not a statistic, each of us are INDIVIDUALS. I have a very strong opinion about that one. I certainly don't sit here every day and wonder "will I reoccur", but I do wonder why I can't just get some kind of baseline for "peace of mind". I think for me, I just got done chemo, so I'm in that limbo where do I belong, what happens from here etc, etc. I'm sure ALL of you can relate to my questions and curiosity. Thanks for your support and assistance with this one.

Jan '07 felt lump (PCP "thought" it was a cyst)
Nov '07 "bloody nipple discharge" (OB-GYN "thought" I had fibrocystic breasts and told me to take 400 IU's of Vitamin E)
Note: Mother was dx w/BC in 2004 (ER/PR+ & HER2+) & mets to brain April 2007 (she passed away June 17, 2008)
2/1/08: Biopsy Dx: DCIS (age 34)
2/22/08: Surgery R-side Mast
2/28/08: 1st Path Rpt Dx: IDC 1.8cm tumor & DCIS 2.1cm
2nd Path Rep DFCI - IDC (0.9cm) & DCIS (2.1cm)
Stage 1b/Gr 3; ER+(5%), PR+(2%), HER-2+++
5/5 nodes NEG; Clear Margins
Chemo: AC 4 rnds (1st one 3/31/08) finished 6/2/08
TH (Taxol/Hercepin) 12 weeks (1st one 6/25/08) finished 9/8/08
Herceptin 9 mos (every 3 weeks) finished 6/8/09
BRCA 1/2 NEG
Bio: Age 39, married to James 1999, 2 boys 12 & 10 yo
flynny is offline   Reply With Quote