View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #80
Carina

I am Stage IIIa, ER/PR positive and started Herceptin with Taxol once every 3 weeks. Started to get hives and itching on the second day after receiving T + H. Thought this was due to the Taxol. Then got an anaphylactic reaction (hives, tightness in throat and chest) 10 minutes after the Herceptin was started (1 hour drip). I was pre-medicated with Dexamethasone and Benadryl but still got the reaction. I was given more Dex and Benadry and the herceptin infusion was restarted. 15 minutes into it, I got the same reaction again. They stopped the herceptin and never re-started. I have not been given any herceptin since. and have completed Taxol on Sept. 8th. However, I continue to get allergic reactions. Not sure if it is due to the Taxol, Neulasta or residual herceptin or a combination of any or all. Spent several hours at Emergency due to an allergic reaction today. Going for allergy testing on Oct. 4th.

I spoke to Roche, distributor for herceptin in Canada, and they asked a number of questions about my reaction. My onc is trying to get information on others who have experienced an anaphylactic or other severe allergic reaction while taking herceptin. Roche was intially reluctant to release the data. The Roche rep did tell me that at least one patient has died from the reaction to herceptin, but a severe reaction is rare.

I am hoping to be able to safely get back on the herceptin. Thanks for posting this thread.

Carina
Chemo: AC + T completed 8Sept06, and Herceptin started started 7Jul06 (Herceptin temp. stopped due to allergy)
Hormonal Treatment: 9Oct06 (Arimadex)
Radiation: To start 10Oct06 (5 weeks)
Carina is offline   Reply With Quote