View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #79
Ora

I started herceptin in June and take it every 3 weeks. I had a reaction to first dose - chills & fever, but seem to tolerate it now and take benedryl and tylenol with my treatment. I am also on Femara. I think I can attribute some of my ailments to herceptin and some to the chemo. My runny nose, swollen feet, and dull pressure-type headaches are probably from the herceptin. My arthritis is much worse now in my hip and back, but I gained weight with everything so I know that affects my arthritis. The hot flashes are from the Femara and I take 37.5 mg of Effexor for that and it works pretty well. Since I had chemo first, I believe my insomnia started then but I still have it and must take a Xanax and an Ambien to sleep. My mental problems and toe/foot numbness also started with the chemo. Actually, I think my brain is working a little better now. After almost a full year not being able to read a book, I've finished two in the last month. Although I must confess I thought I was going to have to describe Ambien as "bucket"! I couldn't remember the name. I have had the "air hunger" too. I thought it was because of my heart, but it mostly happened at night or when I got into a hot car - it was over 100 degrees most of the summer. I got this tip from my dog. She's a fat black lab and when she pants she will put her face up to the fan. I tried it at night and it seemed to work - the breeze helped me gulp air better. I would just turn it on when I needed it. Herceptin is my wonder drug and I can manage all of these side effects just to be able to take it.
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote