View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
jml

Update...Re: Denied a massage because of my cancer...

Just wanted to share an update on this situation...
I thank you guys for giving me the space to rant, and I do appreciate all your feedback, comments, support, encourgement and critiques.

After all this happened, I spoke with the manager - though he dodged my calls for 3 days, spoke with Director of Customer Relations for Massage Envy corp, and upon her prompting, finally received a phone call from the franchise owner. I also went to my local Massage Envy & collected all the different waivers that are given to new clients, asking for specific information/policies about working with oncology clients on/off treatment. As a large national chain, I suspected the would already have corporate dictated standards in place for their employees and they do in fact have Massage Oncology Guidelines. The document is 4 pages, very thorough and appropriately cautionary, and with regard to this specific LMT's fear that she could make the sicker by pushing my cancer into my brain and lungs, the document ultimately states:
"The belief was that massage techniques could actually aid in the growth and spread of cancer and tumors by promoting increased circulation. Recent discoveries on how cancer is developed and spread throughout the body show these beliefs to be incorrect. Cancer starts and spreads from genetic mutation of cells. The simple application of massage cannot cause cells to mutate or spread as mutations are formed within the cell itself and spread in the replication process."

If this is the Massage Envy corporate standard with regard to working with oncology clients, then I would expect that when I walk into any franchise that their staff, including front desk, managers, owners and especially their LMT's are prepared, educated and qualified to uphold that standard.
I'm loyal Massage Envy client here in Atlanta have always received lovely customer service and excellent massage. It is my responsibility to disclose the full and honest truth about the state of my disease and treatment and I assume full responsibility for my own well being, whether I'm going for massage, acupunture, getting a mani/pedi, whatever. The LMT's thus far have always been comfortable working with me, even when I had palpable supraclav nodes - that LMT appropriately adjusted her technique to both her and my comfort level.
I was expecting at least the same level of professionalism when I went to the Hermosa Beach location, as they are a chain and do have corporate standards to uphold.
In my opinon, if any staff, especially the LMT's, are undereducated or ignorant about oncology massage or if they simply maintain a different belief system or philosophy about working with cancer patients, they probably shouldn't be working for Massage Envy.
Knowledge is power, and we are our own best advocates.

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote