View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #14
Aussie Girl

Re: HELP please!! First time on taxotere

Dear Adriana,

You mentioned numb hands too - are you using cold mitts. cold packs or ice baths during the taxotere infusion? This is essential and if you can cool both hands and feet even better. A multivitamin and extra Vit B6 might help. You probably know all this, given your history.

There have been many threads about the cold mitts, so a search of this site should dredge up lots of info.

Is the pain from the mouth ulcers? It wasn't quite clear. If the pain is in the rash - get to the doctor quick. Your description doesn't sound like shingles (herpes zoster) but that would need special medication ASAP.

For mouth ulcers, you can get ointment called "orobase" which is a thick gel which covers up the ulcers and therefore reduces pain. I use kenalog in orobase for the usual non-chemo mouth ulcers (apthous ulcers) and it is magic. It is a steroid mixed with the orobase. Two or three applications and the ulcers heal, instead of the usual seven to ten days. I don't know if it works for chemo mouth ulcers, but you can ask.

Other things that cause a sore mouth are thrush, a fungal infection (Candida), and cold sores (herpes simplex virus) can break out on the lips, nose, mouth in immuno-supressed patients. These are less likely than the straight chemo toxicity ulcers.

Regarding pain, most of mine was in my muscles or gut related. I had oxycodone on hand but only used it rarely. It was helpful to know it was there for the bad times. Otherwise, I lived on panadol osteo, and it was nowhere near enough pain relief. I was told not to use Nurofen, which would have been more effective. I really couldn't use it since my platelets went very low. If your doctor allows Nurofen, try it.

Darvocet (acetaminophen and propoxyphene) or panadeine forte (acetaminophen and codeine) are stronger than panadol but less strong than oxycontin. Tramadol is another stronger one.

So there are some different choices for pain, none natural. Distraction, hot baths, and good sleep help reduce the perception of pain. Certain sorts of pain respond to acupuncture or physical therapy. I know I'm getting off track so I'll stop right now.

Best Wishes. Hang in there.

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote