View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Jackie07

Re: How much protein?

Kevin MD has a new article about the new USDA food guideline www.choosemyplate.gov Notice the third point: Eat protein at every meal.

More healthy eating tips to add to the USDA food plate
By James Haddad
At its release, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack criticized the food pyramid for being “too complex to serve as a quick and easy guide for American families” – I completely agree, and have always felt this way. The food pyramid was the kind of thing you could completely forget after browsing – that, or leave with the message “eat lots of carbohydrates” (a terrible recommendation for most, in my eyes) – far from ideal.
Michelle Obama asked, “What’s more simple than a plate? I’m confident that families … can start using this today.“ Without a doubt, the visual cue of a plate is far more useful than the old pyramid – people can now use the USDA guidelines as they prepare meals, whereas before they were essentially given seemingly
arbitrary goals to meet each day (which were not only quickly forgotten, but difficult to keep track of).
In my opinion, there are still problems with some of USDA’s suggestions, but there may never be consensus on such matters. I also take issue with the fact that the only advice I can find on portion control is “Avoid oversized portions.”
I submit to you the “Tip of the Day” I found when I visited the MyPlate website while drafting this article:
Consider convenience when shopping. Buy pre-cut packages of fruit (such as melon or pineapple chunks) for a healthy snack in seconds.
I would actually argue the contrary – convenience should be avoided when shopping, as seeking it will usually pull you away from unadulterated, healthy choices, and towards commercialized, overpriced junk. The above tip may be fine for a family with superfluous income, but items like pre-cut fruit and 100-calorie packs are usually overpriced and are just not what most families should be buying. Eating healthy does take a bit of work, and we shouldn’t shy away from that (portion control, in particular, is an area where we would be wise to avoid having food corporations make decisions for us).

The above considered, I thought this would be a good time to share some of my own tips for healthy eating. These are my bare-bones recommendations:
  • No soda/pop, juice drinks, sports drinks, or fruit juices. This is #1 because I firmly believe it’s the best thing Americans can do for their health: stop drinking your calories! Drink water, milk, unsweetened tea or coffee, and eat fresh fruit instead of drinking juice (which is in most cases just as bad as soda). I also believe we should be avoiding artificially-sweetened beverages, but this will be reserved for a future article (baby steps).
  • Eat more fiber. Since before I even began my formal medical education, when people would ask me the one thing they could do to improve their diet, my answer was always fiber. Fiber has been shown to lower cholesterol, control blood sugar levels, and help with weight loss and bowel health. Research on fiber and colon cancer has been thus far equivocal, but I strongly suspect a protective effect will be revealed in the future.
  • Eat protein at every meal. Like fiber, protein will help you feel satisfied after a meal (so will fat, as it slows the rate at which your stomach empties!). Protein does not necessarily have to come from meat or eggs – beans, nuts, certain grains, and dairy are great sources of protein for those who avoid meat. As a bonus, protein is more energetically costly to digest, giving it a higher Thermic Effect of Food (TEF).
  • Use only natural fats & oils. Information about hydrogenated oils being linked to poor heart health has been well-disseminated, but they have also been linked to other health conditions including diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and even depression – we would do well to avoid them whenever we can. Use real butter, olive oil, sesame oil, etc. and eat natural fatty foods (real peanut butter, plain dark chocolate, avocados, etc.). One of my biggest pet peeves is low-fat peanut butter: natural peanut butter (or better, almond butter) can be a good source of healthy fats, while reduced fat peanut butter is a good source of nothing (it’s processing essentially removes its health benefits and replaces them with fillers and sugar).
Don’t mistake the critical eye of the above paragraphs as disapproval – I think this overhaul is a step in the right direction and was long overdue. Time will tell if American families will respond better to this educational tool than its predecessors.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote