View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
ArmyMomLisa

Re: Did chemo put you into menopause?

I turned 45 a week after my first chemo. Had my usual period the next week, and then nothing since (that was in February) My onc too told me that ifyou don't have it again after a year, it's probably not coming back. (That was the case w/ a friend of mine - she is 3 years out from chemo and hasn't had it again.)

The hot flashes are plenty and annoying, but in some odd way make me feel a bit more 'normal' after all of this. Even if it is chemo induced, it's something that was coming my way anyway - a proper, normal womanly right of passage so to speak - and I am craving normal desperately now after finishing chemo and wanting to be my old (or is it new and improved??) self. :-)

Been on Tamox for a few weeks now, so hard to tell what symptoms may be left from chemo and what may be from that.

11/17/10 diagnosed (at age 44) after mammogram w/ 3 cm, Stage 1,Grade 3 IDC in left breast Er/Pr+, Her2+, BRCA neg.
12/14/10 lumpectomy
12/17/10 path report results show tumor larger than originally thought from MRI,
1/3/11 Bilateral mastectomy w/ immediate reconstruction (expanders - began fills 4 weeks after surg.)
2/16/11 Began 6 rounds of Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin every 3 weeks
2/18/11 to hospital w/ kidney stone! (Dr. believes from 'shock to my body' of chemo.)
6/2/11 last chemo! Continue Herceptin every 3 weeks til 2/12
6/22/11 Started Tamoxifen
7/5/11 reconstruction surg.
ArmyMomLisa is offline   Reply With Quote