View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #25
Debbie L.

Re: Remembering Chrisy

I only had the privilege to meet Chris in person once, at SABCS 2011, so the photos from that time that you've posted, Steph, are special for me. I look at them with sadness, but cannot help but smile to remember how I enjoyed those few minutes of face-to-face connection with Chris.

I love all the tributes being posted, both from those who knew her well, and those who knew her "only" online (but still well). I can't add to the eloquence of those tributes so will just say "ditto", to every word. And thank you, Denise, for starting this easy-to-find thread of tribute.

But in one other area not yet mentioned, I will mention that I think Chris made a huge difference to the researchers and the providers -- allowing them to see the intelligence and spirit that patients bring to the arena of advanced breast cancer treatment. She wonderfully and honestly represented the experience of living with advanced breast cancer, particularly HER2+ breast cancer. I am sure that MANY of those providers and researchers will carry Chris -- her spirit, her energy, her very person -- with them as inspiration and motivation, as they work to stop breast cancer deaths.

My condolences to all. To our list, but especially to Chris's family and her husband, for whom she expressed such love and concern about how they would carry on, when she was gone. I wish them patience, and gentleness with themselves, as they begin the work of grieving. It's hard work, but also good work, and with the support of someone like Chris, from wherever she now abides -- it's bound to be amazing work.

Love,
Debbie Laxague

HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote