View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
JillaryJill

Re: My Wife Rachel Was Just Diagnosed With HER-2+ Breast Cancer (Please Help ...)

Ben,
I had TCH and other than taking off work Thursday for the infusion...I worked full time through all 6 cycles. Also worked full time during radiation (had radiation at 7:00am in the morning). I had a Neulasta the day after chemo. My husband gave me the shot. I pinched some of the fatty part of my tummy and he gave me the shot to that area. Totally painless...it works with the bone marrow so it did cause joint and muscle soreness for a few days, but the meds they gave me to counter act this worked great. I never had to miss a chemo cycle...due to low white cell count...so I swear by Neulasta.
I had a port a cath installed, worked like a dream. I had it removed 2 years after I was diagnosed. That is the timing protocol that my onc suggested. I have to admit, I could not wait to get it out, I hated having that bump under my skin. I have a 1 inch scar near my clavicle bone..I am putting scar cream on it and the scar has faded.
In terms of surgery...yes surgical removal is the first defense, radiation is a secondary defense to prevent a regional recurance, chest wall, skin etc. Chemo protects the rest of the body for any small cells that can not be detected by imaging.
This is Her2...throw everything at it you can up front. It's an agressive breast cancer, but the treatments/ medicines available are terrific.
You and your wife are overwhelmed as you should be...the diagnosis is such a shock and the year after is a whirlwind of Dr's appointments and treatments. But it is all doable. We sold our townhouse, moved during the month of my 2nd chemo, had our small lake cottage torn down and built our dream home on our lake. So the year I was diagnosed and treated consisted of Dr. appointments, working full time ( although I am in sales, so I can work remotely sometimes, and I did not aggressively pursue new business, I just maintained what I had) working with an architect and builder, picking out all of the items for the new house and moving. This sounds weird but most of the time, I tried to pretend I did not have cancer....and kept really busy living my life. Our kids thought we were crazy for doing all of this...but I think it helped us get through the experience.
Good luck to you both.
ER- PR- Her2+++, grade 3, 12 positive nodes out of 15
Stage IIIc
Started TCH/Chemo December 31, 2010
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year
33 rounds of TomoTube radiation, to chest wall, neck, skin and lymph area
September, 2011, MRI to lower spine, hips, DX bulging disk, L4 & L5, pain not from cancer
Expanders removed, implants in Dec 1, 2011
Finished Herceptin, December 21, 2011
August 2012, CT of chest and abdomen, all ok
Enrolled in MC1136 Phase I Peptide Vaccine Trial at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
March 2013, First Vaccine
April 2013, 2nd Vaccine
May 2013, 3rd Vaccine
June 2013, 4th Vaccine
July 2013, 5th Vaccine
August 2013, 6th Vaccine Done!
September 2013, Mayo visit, Echo results 68, vaccine did not effect my heart! Blood work normal.
January 31, 2013, Mayo visit, Echo normal
February 23, 2014, Numb lips on right side, Brain MRI, normal!
June, 2015, Finished the trial at Mayo Clinic. Feels good!
JillaryJill is offline   Reply With Quote