View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #139
gin-tx

Side effects of Herceptin

This is my second episode of BC, first in 1995, clean and nothing showed on mammograms until I developed a different type of problem in April 2006. Went to breast surgeon who did biopsy, very surprised it was malignant. Saw a couple of onc who wanted to do aggressive chemo, was not happy with their treatment suggested. Had a bone scan and something showed on the scan, MRI revealed Stage IV metastatic cancer of the spine, so everything changed as far as treatment plan. Went to third oncologist and am so happy where I am. He recommended seeing the same radiation oncologist immediately who started treatments on my spine. Then had port installed and have had Herceptin and Aredia every 3 weeks since end of June 2006. Will probably continue with this regimen for some time. Have had more trouble lately with Aredia. I've started having chills from Aredia so they give premeds right away (benadryl and tylenol). I am on a multitude of other medications for blood pressure, acid reflux, but have noticed:
1. Significant change in vision, finally went to new opthamologist and got new RX for glasses, made huge difference.
2. Have had some bleeding from nose, rather heavy one day this week, did not mention to onc.
3. Have trouble sleeping, have tried 3 different sleeping pills, one did not work, 2nd pretty successful, third a maybe.
4. For the back pain from the tumor that is still there, radiation reduced some but it will probably never go away, the onc wanted me to try Vicodin, I fought it for months, tried it last night with 1/2 pill, did not help pain, could not sleep, and was dizzy and had headache until noon today. Will call dr on Mon.
5. No problems with fingernails, have pain in feet and they're icy cold at night, nothing new. Had that before.
6, No problems with strange tastes during or after treatment, but cannot eat during treatment. Thought of food makes me sick. Some people bring in burgers, etc. Smell really bothers me.
7. I have started to lose weight, weight stayed same until about 6 weeks ago, now I've lost appetite, can't eat much, and am losing weight.
Think that's about all. Keep in touch and let me know how you are progressing with your symptons.
hugs,
ginkott1@aol.com
gin-tx is offline   Reply With Quote