View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #25
Jean

Re: My Wife Rachel Was Just Diagnosed With HER-2+ Breast Cancer (Please Help ...)

Hi Ben,
I responded on another thread you had posted on. On this thread you had details to Rachel's dx.
The clear margins are a must and now that part is already decided and behind both of you. You have to start thinking of this disease as a huge elephant...how do you eat an elephant?
One bite at a time. First of all you and Rachel have many important decisions to make. So, rest is important so you are clear headed. The stress of being newly dx. is horrific. So take it one step at a time. I was stage 1, also with node negative, very small tumor. Did I feel that I was safer than an women who had a larger tumor? NO I did not. The thought was that while catching this nasty disease early is a benefit - it meant very little to me. As many women before me had recurred - the first two yrs. are very important. (many of them were not given herceptin). I had TCH and it is doable. You and Rachel have to be prepared (mentally) for this fight. Yes Ben it is a fight. You both will fight to get Rachel to NED. (No Evidence of disease. )
Don't be more afraid of the treatment - than the disease itself.
I had asked Dr. Salmon (please take the time to look him up on the internet) as he is the dr. who researched and gave us herceptin. I had asked Dr. Salmon how many cancer (t cells) in a small 6MM tumor like mine. 6mm tumor is about the size of 1/2 of a green pea. His response was millions. Now consider it only takes one rouge cell. That answers all thoughts in my mind of treatment do or don't. Can you believe Ben that only a short time ago early stage women like me and your wife were not approved for TCH ? Sounds archaic doesn't it. That if you were stage 1 early dx. you were not permitted to have treatment. The theory was you didn't need it. This is a nasty aggressive disease. The unknown is the worst part of this journey. I can share and tell you that it is not as bad as you will imagine it. I did work while in treatments. But as I said I prepared for it. I would always have my treatments on a Thurs.
My Neulastra shot was the next day on Friday. Friday, day one after trt, I always felt fine. Sat./Sun. would feel tired, flu like symptoms.

It is obvious that you are a loving and supportive husband. That is going to help Rachel so much. I always said, I just didn't get breast cancer - my husband & son also did. The entire family is effected. I was fortunate that my husband and son were supportive & loving.

Once Rachel's surgery is behind her you will feel more secure.
Please feel free to reach out with any questions.
Lets us know how her surgery goes.
Saying prayers for strength for both of you.
Kind Regards,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 07-02-2013 at 10:00 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote