Thread: Herceptin only
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
tenngal

Re: Herceptin only

Hi, I am so glad I found this thread. I have a few questions for some of you. I was diagnosed October of 2010. My tumor was .8 cm so I opted for Lumpectomy. Er+ and HER2. My Surgeon and several oncologist wanted me to do chemo with herceptin. I had 5 opinions and finally found an onc that was willing to do Herceptin only. I did not feel I needed Chemo. the only reason they wanted me to have it was that they had never given it without Chemo. I had no lymph invasion. Underwent 7 weeks of radiation. Started Arimidex and Herceptin the same time as radiation. December 13 will be my last Herceptin treatment. My question is about the Herceptin side effects. I was perimenapausal at diagnosis. Haven't had a period since summer of 2010. My estrogen levels indicate I am definitely menapausal now. Arimidex gave me such bad joint pain I was switched to Aromasin. Peeling nails, hair thinning like crazy, drippy nose, sensitive skin, joint and muscle pain are the side effects I am feeling. Is this the Herceptin or the Aromasin? I am 5'4" and was 115 pounds at diagnosis. I have gained 25 pounds in the last six months. I am a vegetarian and strictly organic. I have never had a weight problem. I am the single mom of an 11 year old boy and have the energy of a 90 year old. It is so depressing not just for me but for my son. I am not the same mother. I have recently developed a problem with the tendons in my thumb. It is so frustrating. I have actually thought about getting off of the AI and going with a more homeopathic treatment of Brevail. Has anyone used this? All I know is that I can't live like this for the next 4 years. I feel guilty complaining. There are so many of you that are experiencing worse symptoms and going through harder treatments. But if you have any advice please tell me. I supplement with D3, Biotin, Selenium, Calcium and multi vitamin. I am really big on coconut oil for everything. All organic for skin and hair. I just can't settle for this to be my new "normal." Will some of these symptoms subside after the Herceptin is over? Is the AI or a combination of both.

Many blessings to you all......
tenngal is offline   Reply With Quote