View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
Becky

Re: Taxotere Carboplatin Herceptin Side Effects

Everyone will tell you to eat healthy - and you should if you can but the main point is to eat so your body can recover between chemo rounds. Focus on some foods that really do help you out like yogurt. If you like yogurt, you will find that its taste is not altered (sometimes foods taste different the first few days because the cells in your mouth are also "fast growing" cells and they are affected by chemo just as the hair follicles (also fast growing cells) are affected). Yogurt tastes like yogurt AND you get the probiotic boost. Maybe Activa type is better as it has lots of bacterial strains which repopulate the flora in your gut (the good bacteria are affected by chemo) and replenishing is important so you don't feel so yucky. If you hate yogurt, get the probiotic pill supplements (mention to your onc - I always say this but your onc won't object to this supplement but they should always know what you're doing).

Drink water before, during and after infusion. Don't drown yourself but keep well hydrated.

Eat protein for healing (yogurt, eggs, chicken,fish).

I did not get a port but now I wish I had as everyone has such difficulties getting blood from my left arm. It was poked so much - however, the plus is that I did not have a port that needed to be cared for after chemo and then Herceptin was over. The choice is up to you.

I did not ask for help but received plenty. Everyone who said, "can I do anything"? - I took them up on their offer where I did not put them out. For example, my kids were in high school or middle school. The middle school daughter needed a ride home from school everyday because of sports. One neighbor who called (and I did not know super well) said "what can I do?". Knowing her son also had sports after school (and she was picking him up), I had her bring home my daughter too. No biggie for her but huge for me. Take people up on their offers - people do alot in the beginning but dramatically slow down later so take those meals now and freeze the ones that freeze well.

Family can just be told - I need help!! It is harder to do that with casual friends and neighbors so rely later on close friends and family.

We will help you through here. We have been through it and are on the otherside. We are here for you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote