View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
MJo

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Survivors

I thought I'd relate what just happened to me in case anyone else goes through this. A dear friend has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. WHen I heard the diagnosis, I immediately wanted to give her as much support as possible. But I began to feel as if I had just heard my own diagnosis -- the fear, the horror. I couldn't sleep, felt anxiety and even had an asthma attack. I talked about it in my survivors' group and the facilitator -- a therapist -- told me I was likely suffering from PTSD and had a flashback. It never occurred to me! It took a few days for me to feel better and I used Xanax when I felt anxious. I am a six year survivor. This episode surprised me. During the flashback/attack, I wanted to forget I'd ever heard my friend's diagnosis. I'm feeling better now and able to be supportive. I had begun to wonder if being in a breast cancer survivor's support group after six years was somehow "weak." Hah! Thank god there was a therapist who could help me figure out what was wrong with me. So years after treatment ends, it's possible to get a flashback!

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote