View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
bbscott2

Exclamation Herceptin and No Surgery???? Need help!

I'm new here. My name is Briony and my mom has breast cancer. She has been on herceptin and toxol for 12 weeks. Before she started we faced the decision of a lumpectomy and then chemo or try to shrink the tumor with chemo and then do a lumpectomy. So we went the herceptin route. After 3 weeks it had shrunk considerably. By 12 weeks the doctor was shocked. It was completely gone. Only on an MRI can you see any trace of cancer. The radiologist said that it was basically like if you had a forest fire that was put out but there were a couple of embers still lit. So, we think this is good news, right? Well, now the oncologist is insistent on a mastectomy. They don't think it's possible for her to have reacted that well to the herceptin and they want to take the whole breast off. We've seen a surgeon and he actually sees our side of it. Our theory is, why can't we try to do more herceptin and another MRI. Couldn't it go away completely then? My mom is not very well and could not really handle surgery. Other than me and my step dad, we have no support group. I am trying to raise two kids along with help my mom. She has an autonomic disorder and is generally pretty sick. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice? We are desperate for information. I hope this isn't too confusing. Please feel free to ask any questions if you need me to clarify.

Thanks in advance,
Briony
bbscott2 is offline   Reply With Quote