View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
CarolineC

Re: 2nd PTH yesterday...and now discovery of heart arrythmia

Jessica,

Last year, I, like you, ended up in the hospital. I was in reverse isolation for 3 days after my first dose of Docetaxel and Herceptin. This was take two of chemo because I had 8 rounds of chemo two years earlier.

When I was having my second treatment, the nurse infused the Herceptin over 30 min and right after I started having heart palpitations and she had to give me steroids, lay me down, and checked my pulse frequently. (no EKG) When I first was diagnosed I would have my treatments over 60 min. This time around I had forgotten to remind them about the time difference. I realize now that my body was weak; I had just had 20x rads to my sternum, a root canal, my port reinserted , and chemo in about 6 weeks, then had landed in the hospital where it took 4 days of Neupogen shots to get my counts to the lowest of normal and then had another treatment of chemo. My system is very sensitive and reacts to things, good or bad.

I also wondered what on earth I was doing to my body because I had decided to do chemo again-my oncs had given me options of what to do-you could try this, you might do that-because there isn't enough research on Stage IV to know exactly what to do.

The nurses have now put in my file that I need my infusions over 60 min. although the Herceptin bag says 30 min. I wanted over 90 min, but then they start talking about "the time in the chair". Comes down to money all the time.

I am now able to handle the Herceptin abit better;about halfway through I will get really cold, but I find the longer it takes, the less stress on my system. I hope that this is just a temporary issue for you, because you have also had ALOT happen in the last while, not to mention the last 10 years.

You have inspired me over the last number of years in my own experiences. Last year at this time I lost my hair for the second time and I had a major meltdown because it meant I really WAS sick, and my "normal" was gone again. It is much harder than losing it the first time. I thought of all of you that have endured these treatments and kept going and that has helped me to make it through each day.

Look at everything you have been through. You WILL make it through this tough time again because you are amazing and strong and resilient.
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote