View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #17
Lien

Hi Harrie,

Sorry you lost the appeal. I am wondering though why your doc recommends yearly DEXA's. Has he explained what benefit you would get from annual scans?

My second DEXA after 2 yrs of Arimidex & Zoladex showed osteopenia in the lumbar region, but 18 months later, there was a slight improvement. I started reading about it and found an article that mentioned that most of the bone loss stops after 2 years on an AI. I don't remember whether this was the case for all AI users. Unfortunately, I can't find the article.

I think my bone density improved as a result of more exercise. You may want to look into that. A helpful site would be: http://www.strongwomen.com/strongbones/sboverview.htm

DEXA scans don't improve one's bone health. They just monitor bone loss. Are you taking a biphosphonate? I can't, because of the risk of Osteonecrosis of the jaw. I'm already having trouble with dental infections. So the slight increase in bone mineral density is probably the result of of increased exercise and taking calcium, magnesium and vit D.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote