View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #246
R.B.

Striking figures for COX blockers.

DHA is a cox blocker.

It is suggested COX blockers seek to moderate the downstream effect of excess Omega 6.

So balancing Omega 3s and 6s may assist in any COX blocking based strategy.

Please discuss dietary change with your doctor. The posts are only intended to inform debate.

Chemoprevention of Breast Cancer in Rats by Celecoxib, a Cyclooxygenase 2 InhibitorRandall E. Harris2, Galal A. Alshafie, Hussein Abou-Issa and Karen Seibert

School of Public Health [R. E. H., G. A. A., H. A-I.], Comprehensive Cancer Center [R. E. H., H. A-I.], and Department of Surgery [H. A-I.], The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio 43210, and Searle Monsanto Research and Development, St. Louis, Missouri 63137 [K. S

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) have been observed to reduce the relative risk of breast cancer. This prompted our investigation of the chemopreventive potential of celecoxib, a specific cyclooxygenase 2 blocker, against mammary carcinogenesis induced by 7,12-dimethyl-benz(a)anthracene in female Sprague Dawley rats. Treatment with celecoxib was examined and compared to treatment with the general NSAID, ibuprofen, and to a control group receiving only dimethylbenz(a)anthracene. Dietary administration of celecoxib (1500 ppm) produced striking reductions in the incidence, multiplicity, and volume of breast tumors relative to the control group (68%, 86%, and 81%, respectively; P < 0.001). Ibuprofen also produced significant effects, but of lesser magnitude (40%, 52%, and 57%, respectively; P < 0.001). These results help confirm the chemopreventive activity of NSAIDs against breast cancer and provide the first evidence that a cyclooxygenase 2 blocking agent, celecoxib, possesses strong chemopreventive activity against mammary carcinogenesis.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote