Thread: Survivor Survey
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #53
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Dede -- I See You Live In Tennesee

Hi Dede, I hope you've read my stats. July '95 Stage IV + 2 lymph nodes, mastec, tram flap reconstr + 4 Adria ?12 CMF (50 yrs old). (Aug. '94 Mammog was clean.) Borderline E so they put me on Tamoxifen. Aug. '98 multiple mets in liver. They told me to throw my Tamoxifen down the toilet! Her2+ 80%, as nomenclated back in the day. FDA fast-tracked Herceptin because of the great results. Women given 3 mnths to live couldn't get it. There was a lottery system. My incredible doc MJ (Dr. Mohammed Jahanzeb) was in Boca at the time. Got 5 opinions (mostly in NY where I then lived 6 mnths a yr). MJ suggested Taxotere -- the most aggressive tool in their arsenal at the time for a highly aggressive invasive lobular carcinoma (that was ME). I went on Taxotere in Sept '98 through May '99. Apr. 2 oncs suggested I bring my x-rays for their radiologist to read. First one said he wasn't sure what he was looking at were tumors. They appeared filled w/fluid, cyst-like. The dead remains of tumors. I continued on Taxotere. Another onc suggested I bring my x-rays for his radiologist to read. He knew nothing of any other radiologists' reports. He said the same thing -- cyst-like, necratic tissue, dead remains of tumors. At the end of May I just couldn't take any more. I had suffered every conceivable side effect bitterly and was crawling. MJ said no reason to believe the Herceptin can't keep me stable. Was on wkly till '02 then switched to triple dose every 3 wks. Have regular chest/abd/pel CTs. Went from ev 8 wks to ev 3 mnths. I begged for ev 4 mnths as the drink gave me diarrhea for 3 days. Last yr I graduated to ev 6 mnths. Am due in June. Have comprehensive bld tests ev 3 mnths w/tumor markers.

Dr. MJ is an incredible doc/human being. You call. He answers -- within the hr or def the same day. He is aggressive in treatment yet not over the top. He is kind, caring, giving. He listens. He lets you take your time. He waits to see if you have any more questions. He answers everything you ask w/considered thought and explains what he bases his opinion on. He cites studies and facts and figures. He is unique and I was blessed to have in my life when I needed him most. If -- God forbid a hundred million times -- I were to need him, I would be on the first plane to Tenn. He heads the oncol department at the Univ of Tenn. I believe he helped save my life.

He travels extensively around the country and the world, attending and/or giving lectures on breast cancer and lung cancer -- his specialties. He is brilliant and yet a sweetheart. A gentleman who I cannot say enough good things about.

I wanted you to hear all this. If there is any way in the world you can get to where he is -- my best advice would be to run there. If any one has answers for you -- MJ will. He will not give up on you. I WAS HIS FIRST PATIENT IN '95. I am NED (no evidence of disease), joyful, serene, in harmony and good health. I wish you the same! I wish that for all these exceptional ladies on this site. I admire their courage and determination, their proactive approach and their strength. Never give in. Never give up. I'm standing w/you. Please let me hear back from you. Sending loving, healing energy... ANDI
From Taxotere had pleural effusion (which went away after about 6 mnhs). Had small pericardial effusion that remains and they now believe will never go away and is not cancerous. I now get annual ECHOs to check my EF. Was ev 6 mnths. I go for transvaginal pelvic sonos to check my ovaries, etc. I go for bone density tests ev 2 yrs.
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote