View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #53
R.B.

Thank you for your post.

Life has certainly dealt you all a desperately difficult hand, and you appear to be dealing with it very bravely.

I very clearly understand your point and position.

I have never claimed diet will cure cancer. I have just suggested that on a population wide basis it will reduce risks for some, and that specifically that there are a significant number of trials implicating fat intake in cancer risk and inflammatory pathways etc.

I have also always said there that the commonly quoted figure of differential in "western" disease from non "western" populations is about 70%. This leaves a very large 30% for whom it would be reasonable to assume that diet if that is the factor has no effect.

I still hold to a position that there is evidence that balancing the omega threes and sixes will moderate the inflammatory pathways, and assist in maintaining the immune system, general health, and moderate risks based on the trials I have read.

Based on the trials being conducted research organisations are sufficiently interested to explore the impacts of lipids on health, and some products developed in consequence, some products being legislated against in some countries eg trans fats etc.

Again I understand your position, and can only begin to imagine your frustration. Please do not associate me with those that are holding diet as the only way to go, or who does not appreciate the huge advances in medicine.

There is room for both and it is important we do not lose sight that the body is immensely complex and has developed this complexity in relation to its environment and the limiting factors in that environment, and so much is simply not understood.

I wish I had the knowledge and expertise to relate what I have read over the last year to your very specific circumstances but I don't.

I have not begun to walk in your shoes and experience the see-saw of hurt and anguish that you must have been through and continue to face.

Thank you for your post. It is important for all of us to know and try and understand if that is ever possible the impossible difficulties in life that many have to face.

RB

PS please find below the results of a search on the ncbi site for "p53 gene and fats" which might suggest fats have a bearing on P53 activity which may or may not be relevant in your circumstances just in case of any interest to you or your doctor.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...arch&DB=pubmed

1: Wu B, Iwakiri R, Ootani A, Tsunada S, Fujise T, Sakata Y, Sakata H, Toda S, Fujimoto K. Related Articles, Links
Free Full Text Dietary corn oil promotes colon cancer by inhibiting mitochondria-dependent apoptosis in azoxymethane-treated rats.
Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2004 Nov;229(10):1017-25.
PMID: 15522837 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2: Chi TY, Chen GG, Lai PB. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Eicosapentaenoic acid induces Fas-mediated apoptosis through a p53-dependent pathway in hepatoma cells.
Cancer J. 2004 May-Jun;10(3):190-200.
PMID: 15285929 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3: Chung FL, Pan J, Choudhury S, Roy R, Hu W, Tang MS. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Formation of trans-4-hydroxy-2-nonenal- and other enal-derived cyclic DNA adducts from omega-3 and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids and their roles in DNA repair and human p53 gene mutation.
Mutat Res. 2003 Oct 29;531(1-2):25-36. Review.
PMID: 14637245 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4: Hanibuchi M, Sone S. Related Articles, Links
No abstract [Causative agents for lung carcinogenesis]
Nippon Rinsho. 2002 May;60 Suppl 5:63-6. Review. Japanese. No abstract available.
PMID: 12101751 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

5: Shabany K, Chiu PC, Raghian A, Chang KW, Solt DB. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Rapid in vivo assay for topical oral cancer chemopreventive agents.
Int J Oncol. 2002 Jul;21(1):159-64.
PMID: 12063563 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

6: Perjesi P, Pinter Z, Gyongyi Z, Ember I. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Effect of rancid corn oil on some onco/suppressor gene expressions in vivo. A short-term study.
Anticancer Res. 2002 Jan-Feb;22(1A):225-30.
PMID: 12017293 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

7: Diggle CP, Pitt E, Roberts P, Trejdosiewicz LK, Southgate J. Related Articles, Links
Free Full Text N;-3 and n;-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids induce cytostasis in human urothelial cells independent of p53 gene function.
J Lipid Res. 2000 Sep;41(9):1509-15.
PMID: 10974058 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8: Yano S, Sone S. Related Articles, Links
Abstract [Causative agents for lung carcinogenesis]
Nippon Rinsho. 2000 May;58(5):1017-22. Review. Japanese.
PMID: 10824542 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

9: Taylor DD, Gercel-Taylor C, Weese JL. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Modulation of colon tumor oncogene expression by cancer patient-derived lipids.
J Surg Oncol. 1996 Sep;63(1):46-51.
PMID: 8841466 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Last edited by R.B.; 10-24-2008 at 02:58 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote