View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
CoolBreeze

Re: Eyelashes--Need Some!

I know a lot about this subject, did a bunch of research a while back.

A couple of years ago, Revitalash contained the same prostoglandin agonist that is in Latisse, called bimatoprost. It has been used as eye drops safely for many, many years to treat glaucoma.

The story goes that an eye doctor noticed that when he gave his glaucoma patients the eyedrops with bimataprost, that their eyelashes grew. When his wife got breast cancer and her eyelashes fell out, he came up with the formulation for her, and eventually marketed it as Revitalash.

I used it and it did work.

However, Allergen owns the molocule in the glaucoma drug and sued Revitalash to market their own product, now known as latisse. Revitalash had to change their formulation and it no longer contains the eyelash growing component.

Latisse will grow your lashes. But, it takes faithful use, it doesn't happen quickly. The average is two months before you start to see results. Some people have reported problems with irritation along the lash line but it's anecdotal. You do not have to use the applicators they give you -- a small lipliner brush will work just as well, make your product last twice as long and probably cut down on any irritation you experience. Remember, they want you to use it up but it lasts and you don't need that much.

There are no studies that used as an eyelash enhancer, it will change iris color. When used as daily eye drops, in a very small percentage of people, light eyes got darker. However, that hasn't happened when used as an eyelash enhancer - you can't get enough in your eye to make that happen.

When shopping, unless your product contains and prostoglandin agonist, it will not grow eyelashes. Don't be fooled by all the products out there, because they don't work. Even Revitalash doesn't contain one, at least in their last formulation.

One other product that does contain one, although it is not bimataprost, is Phillip Thomas Roth's Lashes to Die For. That also will work to grow lashes. But, it's about the same price as getting Latisse. And,the FDA is getting nervous about companies selling "drugs" as eyelash enhancers. I tried the Lashes to Die for and it also worked but not as well as the Revitalash. It might be because I wasn't as faithful with it.

I got a prescription from Latisse from my plastic surgeon and my last chemo is next week. I'll be trying it soon after.

My plastic surgeon's office called the Latisse rep, and she said not to take it during chemo. It's unlikely to interfere with my chemo drugs but they don't recommend it as there have been no studies on it.

So, I'll probably start a week or so after chemo.

Good luck growing eyelashes!

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote