View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
Rich66

Re: House bill would make health care a 'right, responsibility'

Hmmm. 42% doesn't sound too sustainable. So I guess the thinking is that Medicare level reimbursements, or lower(to expand coverage), would kick the majority of hospitals in the arse so they become more efficient?

From the link you posted:

FINDINGS
In the aggregate, both Medicare and Medicaid payments fall below costs and the shortfall has been
growing.
�� Combined underpayments rose from $3.8 billion in 2000 to nearly $32 billion in 2007.
�� For Medicare, hospitals received payment of only 91 cents for every dollar spent by hospitals
caring for Medicare patients in 2007.
�� For Medicaid, hospitals received payment of only 88 cents for every dollar spent by hospitals
caring for Medicaid patients in 2007.
�� In 2007, 58 percent of hospitals received Medicare payments less than cost, while 67 percent
of hospitals received Medicaid payments less than cost.

I also wonder about phrases like "fee-for-service payments give doctors incentive to increase volume"

When I hear talk of allocating a specific dollar amount for a diagnosis, I get uneasy. I have to push docs to green light some seemingly fundamental tests for my parents on Medicare. If it was coming out of the "budget", might be even harder.

There are hospitals in Europe that have a set amount given to them to cover whatever the totality of patients need. I hope it's high enough.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote