View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #28
madubois63

There are so many moments in my life that qualify for this thread, but I love this one...I was 16 at the time and clothes/make-up were my life. My best friend and I decided to take a "modeling" class at A& S (Abraham & Strauss - Macy's competition). The class was taught by a professional model and after several weeks of make-up, hair and fashion tips, there would be a big "runway" show at the store. I was so excited and thought this would be the start of my career...Everyone had to choose 2 outfits to wear for the show, one sporty and one dressy. I was 5' 7", had long brown curly hair and was thin at the time (oh, so looong agoooo). My sister (5 years older) took me to the store and we tried on every outfit in the store before deciding on "THE" outfits to wear. My best friend picked a pretty frilly "gunny sack" dress (like the old fashioned prairie dresses), but my sister and I went straight to the evening wear department and picked out this incredible black lace, slinky thing...I was chosen to go last...supposed to be the finale - gonna wow the crowd in this amazing dress. I'm thinking I am hot shit! We modeled the first outfit, then ran back stage to change. Make-up was great, hair was great...everything perfect. I put the dress on and my sister's borrowed shoes...amazing spiked heal strappy things...I came out of the room (carpeted) stepped out on the newly waxed slick floor and heard everyone gasp. I was the hit of the show!! But, I realized as my spiked heals hit the floor, I was sliding out of control and just about couldn't stop - ugh!!! I felt like my eyes were popping out of my head and all these unpleasant images were running through my head. Somehow I caught my footing and didn't go down. I was crushed. My career was up in flames...Later, everyone told me I looked like an angel just floating across the floor - LOL. Somehow, no one knew that I was truly out of control. I still laugh about that moment and appreciate the opportunity to share....
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver