View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Rolepaul

Re: Tykerb-Only Treatment

As always, Lani has great points. There are some women that can have a single med recovery, but the majority will need additional medications to attack resistant cells. TDM-1 has a dual action mode and may show additional single med effectiveness, but it is likely that a secondary medicine (Tykerb as an example) may be necessary for most women. The drug attached to Herceptin that makes up TDM-1 is significantly enough different that I have high hopes for it, but realistically there will need to be additional drugs in all likelihood. Even Pertuzumab with TDM-1 or Herceptin will be beneficial in many cases as they are two attachment points on the Her+ protein. This is a rapidly developing area of medicine that will be clarified for our daughters and grand-daughters. Even treatment in the brain/spine is undergoing significant change with drastic improvements in lifespan and removal of disease. I hope Herceptin in the near future becomes the "Polio" of today, with a vaccine to prevent occurence. My hopes are with my co-horts in getting this disease to only being seen in textbooks.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote