View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Laurel

Thumbs up

Greg,

Bret Favre shaved his head for his wife's chemo if you recall. She appreciated the gesture, or so she says in her book. Before you run out to shave yours though, why not wait to see if your wife actually loses hers. Many women do not lose their hair with Taxol. Mind you, I was not one of them. I had lost most of my hair with the 4 rounds of AC, but it was the Taxol that took my eyelashes and brows (well thinned my brows markedly!).

Hairloss is no fun, but with a quality wig, no one has any idea you are bald. I wore my baldness as a badge of courage that I did not hide except in public as my children felt less self-conscious with me in my wig. As soon as my hair was a quarter inch I stopped the wig and just went au natural! Wigs and hot flashes just do not mix well!

I applaud your willingness to sacrifice your remaining hair. If you wife does lose hers then play it by ear and do what you think is best. Being bald isn't the most difficult part of chemo, and during the summer months it feels kinda good! It's a drag in the winter! Don't know how you guys stand your short hair in the winter months!

I wish you and your wife many blessings and a complete and full remission.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote