View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Becky

Dear Lani

This is an important piece of research for a variety of reasons. First, the timeframe was between 1986 and 1998 - a time when Her2 was not being tested (herceptin was even being used on metastatic bc until the end of November, 1998). Second - with an age group of less than 70, they were capturing (most likely, postmenopausal women) and also, only Tamoxifen was available.

Since I am ER+ but PR neg, I try to find out as much as I can about this pathology because it is very, very rare (although ER neg, PR+ is rarer). You are right about your statement that it may not pertain to those who are Her2+ as well except for the fact that it further supports that Tamoxifen does not work well unless one is highly ER and PR positive and does not work well unless one is at least positive for both ER and PR.

In my research on ER+/PR neg (prior to all the knowledge about Her2 and the Her family in general), all papers point to the fact that these pathologies don't do well and that is because other factors are in play. Some older studies show that 58% of women who are ER+ but PR neg are also Her2+ (well that explains all of us on this board that are ER+ and PR neg like Jean and me) and if they are not Her2+ then another 30% tested positive for EGFR (aka Her1). The others can probably be explained by Her4 or IGFR - but basically, if you are lacking one or both hormone receptors, something else is driving your cancer too.

Thanks for the article as it reaffirms all the things they are finding about hormone negative or partially hormone negative bc.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote