View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #4
Becky

So, do you think this is why Her2 positive cancers that are also ER/PR negative are more aggressive than those that are hormone positive?

I am always looking for information in regard to ER+ but PR neg bc because it is not very common and it is my pathology (as well as being Her2+).

From my investigations (and there is limited info out there), any work done on ER+ but PR neg usually also has a Her2 negative status as well. If the Her2 status is positive, this is looked upon as at least a known result (as researchers feel that the downregulation of PR is directly related to the upregulation of the Her pathway). So... if they find that an ER+ PR- tumor is also Her2+, they have an answer (as many of the Her2+ ones of this pathology tend to have a lesser (not a nonexistant) chance of also being Her1+ as well). However, if an ER+PR- tumor is also Her2 neg, it stands a GREAT chance of being Her1+ (and there's no "Herceptin" type drug for that except there are Her1 drugs out there).

Also, if ER+(but PR-) and Her2+, it has been shown that Herceptin and an aromatase inhibitor work very, very well together, better than if also PR+. The 2 researchers I spoke to at ASCO (who investigated this pathology), said that with adjuvant Herceptin in combination with an AI, it is really a triple punch for this pathology.

Any thoughts out there?

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote