View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
Sherryg683

Re: Need your input about treatment

I can relate to what you are saying because I too was a nervous nelly about doing more than Herceptin after ending my initial chemo. I was very concerned with brain mets. I talked my Oncologist to letting me try Tykerb...I stayed on it about 2 weeks and had such severe diahreah and acne, that I got off it. My Oncologist was and is of the opinion to save the drugs for later use. Looking back now, I believe it's the right decision also. You've gone 2 years with nothing showing up. I know you are nervous with just doing Herceptin alone but I would have to think that the Herceptin is working. If it weren't you would think something would have popped up by now. Why rush out at this stage and get on something that is going to make you feel bad and is not necessary at this point. You are getting scanned regularly and if something does show up, you will catch it and then you can go on to additional chemo. Being that you haven't had any (besides herceptin) you have a lot that they could try. I know how scared you are and I was at 2 years. But as someone looking back, I would say to you to enjoy every day that you are NED and try not to live being afraid, because that's not really living. Easier said than done, I know. I get my scans in January also, so I'll pray for continued NED for us both...sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote