View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
Lani

Re: NY Times article on stage IVs with stats and singling out her2+ breast

I am sorry that I mentioned stats in my title. THEY ARE NOT STATS for metastatic her2+ bc, rather for metastatic breast cancer in general

They are talking about ALL Stage IV breast cancer patients.

It used to be that her2s among bc patients had their tumors recur earlier and died in a shorter period of time after first metastasis, according to Dr. Slamon

Now her2+ bc patients are living long enough to get brain mets, and even among bc patients with brain mets her2+ patients live the longest

Please do not focus on stats for "the whole fruit salad" when each and every one of you is a super special type of passionfruit!!!

Her2+ bc is tranforming from a type of bc which is more agreessive to one which has a better prognosis than many other types as long as it gets treatment geared to the her2 amplification.

We are learning more and more as to how the tumors get around the her2 blockage (her3, Egfr, IGFR1, Muc4, truncated her2, etc)

and another article I posted from U of Michigan shows we are discovering how the "metastatic niche" awakens the slumbering cancer stem cells and encourages metastasis

We have lots of brain power, computer power and drive to discover how metastases happen and how to prevent them. It wouldn't hurt to go out and try to meet researchers when you can to motivate them to understand why you are in such a hurry for them to make progress. Putting a face on it helps.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote