View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:01 AM   #480
sandyinde

Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

I had stage 1A, mastectomy, HER2+, negative receptors, etc. I completed my chemo on Nov. 17 and am continuing Herceptin every three weeks with 1.5 hour infusions until July unless I change my mind over the side effects.

The nurses tell me to see my primary care doc, suggesting these are not related to Herceptin, but after reading above, I think they are:
. really painful knee problems
. now starting pain in lower back
. the combination makes it very painful to raise or lower myself from standing, sitting or prone positions
. all my finger nails have deteriorated [never had problems before] They break vertically and none are normal anymore
. got first in my life ingrown toenail on big toe. It got infected requiring antibiotics. By the time I got to the foot doc, the other big toe had an ingrown nail. After those were better, the first toe had another ingrown nail on the other side from the first time. It got infected and I was on Cipro before I saw the foot doc. It appeared that there was fungus under the nail by this time. I chose not to get the liver test and do the meds for fungus and now that nail is white, loose and ready to fall off.
. I am constantly hungry and am gaining weight.
. Also feel bloated and my body is bigger than the weight gain. In other words, for a 5 pound weight gain, I am up one size. When I gained that much in the past, it did not affect my dress size.
. recently I have been having numbness in my right hand upon awakening every morning. This morning I paid special attention and noticed that I was not sleeping on it in an unusual manner.
. I have itchy spots especially around the area of the mastectomy and near my underarms.
. My hair is growing back but not as fast as it used to grow.
started chemo 7/21/09 TCH 2 treatments, 3 weeks apart
allergic reaction to Taxotere (extreme face rash)
2 treatments of Adriamicin & Cytoxin, 3 wks apart
6 treatments of Taxol one week apart + Herceptin, ending 11/17/09 followed by Herceptin 3 weeks apart for the balance of a year
Managing very well after initial reactions to TCH
sandyinde is offline   Reply With Quote