View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 AM   #6
Aussie Girl

Re: Sleep and cancer

Sleeping is a big problem for me. I've had problems for many years, but the cancer therapy and the onset of menopause with hot flushes are driving me to distraction.

Mostly I get 4 hours sleep a night and I consider anything more than that a real blessing. Lately it has been less than that and I am not coping very well.

I've tried to set up a good sleeping place (away from my husband's snoring). Coal trains go down our valley hourly (squealing brakes and low vibrations for 10 to 15 minutes each time). I'm sleeping in the most insulated room, but I still hear them. The rest of the family don't even notice them. D@#% the coal seam gas boom in our region!

The worst though is the hot flashes. Variable but often 4 per hour at night, each lasting about 3 to 5 minutes. They occur during the day, but don't disturb me so much.

I am severely lactose intolerant and all of the benzodiazepine drugs (eg. Ativan) contain lactose. I take a Temazepam (mild hypnotic) with lacteeze tablets once a week but still get diarrhea from this - often in the middle of the night. Melatonin tablets usually have lactose and I believe are usually bought online from overseas by Australia customers because the only type available here on prescription is very expensive. I feel like I can't win on this problem.

I've been trying deep meditative breathing etc. I helps me to get me to sleep for the first few hours, but not when I wake with the flashes. I have tried a herbal supplement, without much effect (other than heartburn). Exercising during the day makes me feel better, but without much impact on the sleep.

I am going to my general practitioner next week. She has suggested, in the past, taking a low dose antidepressant (eg. citalopram or mirtazapine) to help with sleep and possibly the flashes. I am trying to track down lactose free versions (oral solutions and orodispersable tablets are theoretically available from my research.)

I wondered if any of you have tried an antidepressant for sleep/ hot flashes. I am a bit reluctant to meddle with my brain chemistry, but I need to sleep to manage going back to work in my laboratory.

In the past, I could work 12 hours a day, while sleeping 4 to 6 hours a night. I could work even if I had no sleep for a night. Now I don't that capability anymore.

Wish me sweet dreams tonight!

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote