Thread: Newly diagnosed
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 02:35 AM   #7
Lien

Re: Newly diagnosed

I'm sorry you need to be here, but glad you found us. It seems you caught it early and should have an excellent shot at long term survival. Your mother seems to be doing well too. That's good news. You probably will get chemo and Herceptin and a port, which may well lead to postponement of reconstruction. But things may go more smoothly, and it seems like a good idea to share your thoughts about these things with your medical team. If reconstruction is very important to you, they may be able to find a way to do it sooner.
Your path report is very similar to mine, minus the BRCA status. Mine was never tested. When I was diagnosed, Herceptin was not available yet. I was one of the lucky ones; I'm ten years out from diagnosis.

So you have a really good shot at surviving this. Perhaps waiting a bit longer for the reconstruction is not so bad if you realize that having chemo and Herceptin will improve your chances of enjoying that perky look for much longer. You will find that there are more treatment options now, and that there are good meds for nausea etc. You do have to work with your docs, though, because they don't always find the optimal meds for you straight away. As soon as you have problems, mention them. There's a lot they can do to alleviate side effects. Keep asking questions!

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote