View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #38
Paula O

Re: Fighting Breast Cancer With Healthy Lifestyle Choices

"No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are
still way ahead of everyone who is not trying."
(Unknown)

IrvineFriend, what an interesting article/website on the Her2 diet and other subjects! Thank you for sharing it. I plan to look it over more carefully when I have time.

SoCalGal, I like how you substituted "learning to" for "trying to". I was going to say "I think I'll try that" but am re-phrasing it to 'That's a great new tool for me to learn too".

"Lizbeth, how did your Jan 7th eval go with the College of Oriental folks? Hope you find some good help there.

MJo and Carlatte--hope the Weight Watcher's plan is going great for yas!

Karen, that's neat that you've found an app that is working so well for you. I don't have a smart phone but I bet your sharing that resource with be a help to others here. Anybody else giving it a whirl?

Europa, your fruit leather sounds yummy. I make mine raw in a dehydrator --just blended strawberries with a dash of stevia set on a low temp. My family likes it a lot and so much better for us than fruit roll ups from the store.

You mentioned healthy recipes you've put together. When you have time, I'd love to glean from your ideas for healthy substitutes when I feel like something crunchy and junky (like chips) when carrot and celery sticks aren't what I'm in the mood for on the crunch part. I like Nori seaweed wraps for the salty chewy texture. Thanks in advance for ideas on beating salty, crunchy type cravings. A glass of water, praying, and getting out of the kichen and going for a walk instead of prowling my cupbards does help me in the cravings department when I do it.

One of my favorite ice cream substitutes is making the healthy stuff with frozen bananas and frozen berries by either putting them through a Champion Juicer with the blank on or whipping them up in a Vitamix (high powered blender than I use nearly every day for smoothies, soup, etc). It comes out like soft serve ice cream and you can make all sorts of delicious varieties.

Welp, my good news is that I met my first goal: I'm five pounds down from Jan 1st and now I'm going to build on that. I slipped up on some on the goals I shared for this past week but see overall progress. It's a relief to be getting the garbage out of my system and am ready to "fully detox" from all junk food (and hopefully residual chemo chemicals will exit too).

I . Paula O, am hereby officially stepping off the crazy rollercoaster of yo-yo weightloss/gain. Been there, done that too many times and I have had more than enough of working hard to take weight off then putting it back on bite by bite with poor choices. The fleeting enjoyment of the taste of junk that tears down my health instead of building it up is not worth it. I have a hard time stopping with two M & Ms and since I seem to have difficulty with moderation when it comes to sugar and chocolate, I truly am better off with the first bite, lick, or taste of it. I admire people who are completely satisfied after one Dove chocolate but that's not where I am at, at least at this time of my life so best for me to accept that and press on to where I want to go getting back into shape and fit and trim again and make this body as UN-inhabitable to cancer as I can. I've read that sugar wrecks havoc on our immunity and considerably lowers and I want mine strong. This is a weak area for me and I am asking God for strength.

This is an excellent article about weight loss, weight maintenance, and goal setting:
http://www.dwlz.com/alsessays/alessay02.html
Anybody want to talk about it after you read the article?

Paula

Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote