View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
G. Ann

Hi Robin,
Very timely question for me. Ultimately, it is your decision and what you feel comfortable with.

My recent story...last May had mammo which showed change in microcalcifications and area of concern. Called back for four more digital pictures. Radiologist couldn't tell for sure so referred me for stereotactic biopsy. Two areas showed up--atypical lobular and atypical ductal hyperplasia. Excisional biopsy recommened in July. After talking with my general surgeon and plastic surgeon in August, I'm scheduled for mastectomy on right side and beginning reconstruction (expanders).

I have no hesitation over the mastectomy. Like you, I've had many scares in four years (several biopsies and ultrasound biopsy). Enough is enough. My concern is the reconstruction and if that hinders any follow-up check-ups as they can't remove all breast tissue and the chestwall issue. My HMO, Kaiser, does not routinely do MRIs. Also, my age, 62, is part of my reconstruction concern, but none of the three doctors consulted think that's an issue. I'm very interested in your feelings about the implant.

I'm wishing you a good decision. I've heard if you have a sense of peace once you decide, then you're on the right road.
Stage 2, 0/18 nodes
TX 4 AC (no taxanes, no radiation)
Hysterectomy 10/04
Began Herceptin 1/06, finished 1/07
G. Ann is offline   Reply With Quote