View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Chelee

Robin, It was an easier decision for me then I thought it would be. Especially the 1st year when it was time for a mammo on my only remaining breast. I was stressed worrying about then finding cancer in that one. Did not want to go through it again. Plus prior to the mammo I was finding a thickening on my breast that concerned me?

So for me personally...I took in consideration that I am her2, 3+++, stage IIIA, with 5 positive nodes...was not able to have radiation. So when I went for my mammo and had to wait for the results "again" it was the deal breaker! They said everything was fine except they see what looks like two lymph nodes in the breast area they want to keep an eye on...and two more lymph nodes in the axilla area. That was it for me...I wanted IT gone. I talked to my surgeon and he thought it was a very reasonable request and said he would do it.

After I had the prophylatic masectomy my surgeon came back and told me that breast was FULL of hyperplasia. I forget his exact words but he said it was one of the worse he has seen. Although he explained that didn't mean I would of gotten cancer but in time it was a possiblilty. Its been well over a yr since my prophylatic mast and I am happy with my decision. No more mammo's or worrying about them missing something on my films. Like you I also didn't like the added exposure to radiation. They were always taking ONE more view it seemed. I was fitted with two prothesis which works for me. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote