View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #48
AlaskaAngel

I have to admit, my last entry wasn't my best!

My personal interest in this is broader, though, than the narrow focus that comes with accepting rough guidelines in the attempt to be entirely objective in how to best deal with the disease. The discussion ended up being limited to considering only what benefits there are in terms of lengthening survival. Perhaps because I am able to see that the guidelines are so rough, I don't see them as being terribly objectively important. For example, if you know by way of markers that the disease has returned, even if you happen not to gain longer survival, and you have limited resources, you will have more choices about how to spend them in what time is left, rather than finding out late in the game. As we both could see from the discussion, some want to know and some don't, without either being "right" or "wrong". But it does matter that markers can offer some people the right to know. It can offer them the right to decide on making a change in treatment as well -- and for some that might mean starting Herceptin that they have never had, or doing Taxol because of the recent knowledge that it works much better for a certain group. It can mean deciding to STOP treatment, if one feels QOL would provide more benefit, where without the markers one might have been more inclined to continue suffering treatment that wasn't working, all the time wasting resources that aren't helping.

So I'm not sure the points about being "unemotional" and "factual" and "evidence-based" in applying what are only rough guidelines in the first place is actually all that meaningful.

With all the false trails we have been herded toward (those HER2's who were put on tamoxifen when it was deadly for them, those who should have gotten Taxol and didn't, those who were given Adriamycin when it wasn't helpful due to TOPO II, the resulting leukemias, and any further mutations caused by the carcinogenic chemos, etc., etc., the question about the effectiveness of treatment is still open. Is doing markers ineffective, in prolonging survival, or was the treatment ineffective regardless of markers or no markers?

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote