View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #16
TanyaRD

Re: Diet and Nutrition: Research for Breast Cancer Prevention and Risk of Recurrence

Dianne,
I don't often discourage use of high antioxidant foods during chemo/radiation because the amount you receive from food is generally much smaller than that in a concentrated supplement form. The same is true for curcumin/tumeric. I believe you could safely consume a curry dish once in a while. If you are eating foods laden with tumeric on a daily basis then that may be reason for caution. I would recommend waiting 2-4 weeks after your last Herceptin to begin the supplement. I don't know of any reason not to take the curcumin with the other supplements unless there is a theory that absorption will be limited. I am not aware of any studies that demonstrate this. If your naturopath has a background in Chinese Herbal Medicine it may be related to the way they blend various herbs (i.e. hot/cold herbs-a little out of my element here :-)

Lastly, curcumin is a strong antioxidant which is one of the reasons it is a good idea to avoid during treatment.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited by TanyaRD; 09-17-2009 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Forgot to answer a question
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote