Thread: Janets story
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
*_Tami_*

4 boys- wow and I thought my house was loud and wild with 3 boys. They are 16, 13 and soon to be 10 and I am forever telling family and friends that I live in a frat house. Everyone keeps telling me there is a special place in heaven (although I am not in any rush to find out) for moms of boys. I stumbled onto this site a few weeks before I started chemo in May '04 and feel that it may have saved my life - time will tell. Based on the information and strength I gained from reading this website I was able to insist that I get herceptin even though my tumor was 1.4 cm, sentinal node had only one micromet and all other nodes were negative, but her 2+++. The women here have helped to me realize that it was up to me to take charge of my medical and health destiny. I was very tired during chemo and radiation but am completely back to normal. During treatment I accepted alot of help from family and friends and even friends of friends who wanted to help. It has been a humbling experience for sure. I have reqained my energy and am working out again in an attempt to lose the 25 pounds I somehow gained from the streiods and lack of exercise. I am playing full out with my kids - skiing, riding bikes, basketball and soon to be swimming. It has been 15 months since I started down this path and when I was diagnosed (at 44) I couldn't believe my doctor when she told me treatment would take at least a year. Surprisingly the year has passed rather quickly - life marches on. I will be on herceptin until August and then in September I will do all the scans and if all is well I will have my mediport removed. The fear of reoccurance is still there and when I finished chemo I remember thinking that if this comes back there is no way I am doing chemo ever again. Well 6 months later I find that the grind of chemo is a distant memory and if I need chemo again in the future than so be it because I can do it if I have to - there is just too much living I still need to do.

I will be thinking of your regained health, vitality and energy throughout this summer-
Tami