View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #14
Louise O'Brien

Caya is right. Because you're from Canada, your regimen will probably be six rounds - three FEC and three taxotere. You'll also be given medication to take two days prior to treatment - and one after. Take it.

Because I had treatment at this time of year - I set myself little goals. I would keep saying - when spring comes, I'll be done.

I would tell myself - when the flowers bloom again, it will be over for me. Herceptin was so much easier by comparison.

When I started in November - I knew I would be half-way through by New Year's. So I aimed for that and a small celebration on New Year's Eve.

When I had my fourth infusion in January - I knew I was coming into the home stretch. And that meant spring.

So that's how I did it. Step by step. I got a wig - but ended up wearing lots of funky caps instead.

And I took advantage of the "Look Good Feel Good Program" because we got hundreds of dollars worth of free cosmetics - and they were quality lines. Christian Dior, Mac, to name a few. I always did the full makeup thing when I went out - it made me feel better.

I was never sick but I think the medication had a lot to do with it.

I might have "hit the wall" on the fourth day and it wasn't because I was nauseous - I'd just be so tired I'd have to sleep all day.

By the second week I'd rebound and almost feel back to normal on the third week. But each time I'd tell myself - one more treatment down, just a few more left.

I did have to get injections when my blood cell count dropped but it rebounded.

And because it was fall and winter, we just hunkered down and watched lots of movies. I didn't go out much because it was cold season and the doctor advised against exposing myself to crowds. Especially when my blood cell count was low.

And the other advice about getting a portacath is good. It makes it so much easier.

When my hair started growing back again, I headed to my hair dresser who would trim it and keep it in shape. He'd get rid of the straggly bits because mine grew in quite kinky - it wasn't an attractive curl.

I had always wanted to return my hair to its natural colour and I knew there was some grey in it. It was just getting too expensive. Now it's dark with what looks like white streaks and I'm asked constantly who "does" my colouring. Sometimes I've started by telling them - "you don't want to know."

You'll also discover something you didn't know before - the chemo nurses. I can't describe how wonderful they are. When my buzzer sounded in the clinic alerting me that it was time for treatment, I'd be greeted by the most beautiful, smiling face. All of them were incredible and supportive. They made such an enormous difference.

That plus a crackerjack nurse I was asigned who worked with the oncologist.

So these are the "non-medical" things you can expect - some of the little bonuses that help get you through.

Just think Spring.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote