View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
Colleens_Husband

Diane:

Welcome to the forums. I am glad you found us and I am sad that you ever had to learn about HER2 cancer. Please understand that my wife is the one who endured the chemo, and I just observed, so my answers to your question may be a little odd to others here. But it is a different perspective and getting as many different ways of looking at a problem may be helpful.

Is the chemo worth it? Absolutely. You are playing math games when you make medical decisions. You need to increase your chances of survival every way you can. You have already made a difficult survival choice in having a double mastectomy. The chemo is the same exact choice you made earlier only instead you are trading long-term survival and health versus short-term discomfort.

And what are you going to get out of the chemo? Peace of mind. In the end, you will know you did everything you could to beat cancer and you took no easy ways out. There is no way of knowing you beat cancer for sure, and if you read this forum long enough, you will see hundreds of posts of people wondering if they are NED (no evidence of disease).

I know chemo is no fun. Colleen had TAC and that was a fresh slice of hell. Days 7 through 10 were awful. She also had TCH and that was much more tolerable. She only missed one day of work per cycle with that combination. She said TCH was like having a mild flu for a week.

Diane, you will be in our hearts and prayers,

Lee

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008